Lawncare & Landscaping Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ethanol Gas

3 posters

Go down

Ethanol Gas Empty Ethanol Gas

Post by Admin Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:35 pm

I had a Stihl Blower go down last week and it was caused by the gas I was using, the mechanic at the shop said the gas had to much Ethanol and that 70% of all there problems with hand held equipment lately was gas related. My question is, has anyone else has had problems running this 10% Ethanol enhanced gas in any of there mowing equipment especially the hand held equipment. I've been told that some gas stations are boosting there percentages of ethanol in there gas and I was wondering if this was true in other areas.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male Pisces Posts : 572
Birthday : 1952-03-08

https://lawncare.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Ethanol Gas Empty Re: Ethanol Gas

Post by tcwall Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:36 pm

I believe that the oil doesn't mix right with ethanol gas.

I run it (ehanol gas 10/90) in my mowers, weed eater, and chain saw - and I've had no problems. Then again, I'm not using my equipment in a commercial application. Didn't know you can even get non-ethanol gas anymore.

Just a thought: are you using synthetic 2 stroke oil?

tcwall

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:57 pm

Yes I use the Stihl pre mix in all of my equipment. I think what happened was I just ran onto some bad gas or possibly the gas that was at the station was at the bottom of the tank at the station because I haven't had a problem since.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu May 26, 2011 9:26 pm

If you have a problem with ethanol try using a Top Tier Gas. They use an additive to offset any effects of ethanol. Most all manuals will recommend a minimum of 87 octane and no more than 10% ethanol, That doesn't mean you can't run higher octane, it will not hurt the mower engine.

According to its marketers, all vehicles will benefit from using Top Tier Detergent Gasoline over gasoline meeting the basic EPA standard. Deposits will reputedly be minimized on fuel injectors, intake valves, and combustion chambers.
New vehicles will supposedly benefit by keeping their engine clean and running optimally, older vehicles may benefit with increased engine performance and prolonged vehicle life.
Using this gas is purported to have the following benefits over gasoline's just meeting the EPA standard:

Improved fuel efficiency
Reduced driving upsets (rough idle, stalling and surge)
Improved acceleration
Increased engine power
Reduced emissions

If you check some of the manuals say on Stihl Trimmers, blowers and such they all recommend 89 and higher octane gas with no more than 10% ethanol. I personally use nothing less than 89 in all my equipment mowers included, Exxon Mobil.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by greggn Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:04 pm

greggn
New User