Lawncare & Landscaping Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Views on Synthetic Oil

2 posters

Go down

Views on Synthetic Oil  Empty Views on Synthetic Oil

Post by Admin Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:17 pm

Views on Synthetic Oil  1976983616 What does everyone think confused Got an opinion, Is it overrated Question I used to use synthetic but quit because of the cost involved. I really don't see any advantage in myself using the Synthetic because I change ever 50 hours and when you're changing four different mowers it's not real cost effective.
Everyone always say you can run the synthetic longer because it doesn't break down but I've always been of the opinion that when oil gets dirty you need to get it changed and synthetic oil gets as dirty as quickly as regular oil does, it's not like dirt runs away from it.
The other thing that bothered me about synthetic is what it said in the manual, yes it acceptable HOWEVER to allow piston rings to seat, a new or rebuilt engine should be operated for at least 50 hours using standard petroleum based oil before switching. Now if this synthetic is so great why not use the stuff for engine break-in confused to me somethin just don't jive. Views on Synthetic Oil  2059067951
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male Pisces Posts : 572
Birthday : 1952-03-08

https://lawncare.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Views on Synthetic Oil  Empty Re: Views on Synthetic Oil

Post by Kingwood990 Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:32 am

I could use Synthetic oil in my equipment but I don't. I change the oil by the book on my machines. I could use it on my JD but I have had good luck with dino juice. The older equipment might benefit from Synthetic but the fact that I just don't use the older equipment often, so I can get away with the dino juice. Also with the older equipment they leak oil, why would I want to use stuff that will cost me more if I have to add more before each use.

If I had the money I would be using this in my equipment and vehicles.
http://www.penngrade1.com/
Kingwood990
Kingwood990
Silver Member
Silver Member

Male Libra Posts : 122
Birthday : 1992-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:13 pm

Kingwood990 wrote:I could use Synthetic oil in my equipment but I don't. I change the oil by the book on my machines. I could use it on my JD but I have had good luck with dino juice. The older equipment might benefit from Synthetic but the fact that I just don't use the older equipment often, so I can get away with the dino juice. Also with the older equipment they leak oil, why would I want to use stuff that will cost me more if I have to add more before each use.

I would think that if Kohler, Kawasaki or Briggs and other manufacturers had seen any benefit to running there engines on synthetic they would have made them to do so and probably would have recommended its use. I can understand the use of the synthetic in High Performance engines like they run in racing and such or maybe even in some of the High performance engines in Corvettes and alike but were talking about a Lawn Mower here scratch
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male Pisces Posts : 572
Birthday : 1952-03-08

https://lawncare.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingwood990 Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:30 pm

Admin wrote:
Kingwood990 wrote:I could use Synthetic oil in my equipment but I don't. I change the oil by the book on my machines. I could use it on my JD but I have had good luck with dino juice. The older equipment might benefit from Synthetic but the fact that I just don't use the older equipment often, so I can get away with the dino juice. Also with the older equipment they leak oil, why would I want to use stuff that will cost me more if I have to add more before each use.

I would think that if Kohler, Kawasaki or Briggs and other manufacturers had seen any benefit to running there engines on synthetic they would have made them to do so and probably would have recommended its use. I can understand the use of the synthetic in High Performance engines like they run in racing and such or maybe even in some of the High performance engines in Corvettes and alike but were talking about a Lawn Mower here scratch

Give me the time and money and a welder I will have a High Performance mower. cheers

I do agree, if the manufacturer recommends synthetic then that is what they should use.
I do believe that with the Kawasaki you can change over to synthetic after 50 hours. With the older equipment I own (all are Briggs powered) I could run synthetic in them but lets face it, those engines have hundreds if not thousands of hours on them its a matter of time before they self distruct. If they have made it this long on dino juice why risk it with more expensive oil.
Kingwood990
Kingwood990
Silver Member
Silver Member

Male Libra Posts : 122
Birthday : 1992-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: